HondaSUV Forums - Discussion forum and bulletin board for Honda CR-V, CRV, Element, Pilot, HR-V owners
 

Go Back   HondaSUV Forums - Discussion forum and bulletin board for Honda CR-V, CRV, Element, Pilot, HR-V owners > 1997 to 2006 Honda CR-V > CR-V::Clinical Rounds

CR-V::Clinical Rounds Routine maintenance, problems, solutions and repair

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-06-2012, 06:02 AM
tac2front tac2front is offline
Senior Member
HondaSUV Senior
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Posts: 168
Default Front lower control arm bushings - 2003 CRV

http://www.conicellihondaparts.com/s...al/F653050.gif

Hello friends,

I took my 2003 CRV to get it safety inspected and it failed due to torn front LCA bushings (Part # 11 on the diagram). I did a search and could not find any instructions for the 2003 model year. Can someone point me in the right direction as to how to proceed on this repair? Can this job be done with normal hand tools and ramps (or jackstands)? Will the old bushings just slide out and I just slide in the new ones or is a special machine (a press) necessary? I was quoted over $300 to have this done by a mechanic but times are tough and want to DIY to save a few bucks.
__________________
1985 Honda Accord "The Reincarnated"
1996 Acura Integra "The Lost Love"
1998 Honda CRV - "The Tank"
2003 Honda CRV - "The Beater"
2010 Honda Pilot - "The Beast"

Last edited by tac2front; 08-06-2012 at 06:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-06-2012, 06:47 AM
alaskan155 alaskan155 is offline
Banned
HondaSUV Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fort Collins
Posts: 210
Default

you might be able to rent a ball-joint press and use that. if not/doesn't work just take the lower control arm and new bushing to a repair shop that have them press out the old and install the new, then you can reinstall the lower control arm saving money for labor to install and remove the control arm.

3rd option is get a 5lb mini sludge and socket(same diameter as bushing, but smaller than control arm), and hammer out the bushing(be careful with this method, because the lower control arm is aluminum i believe)

4th option is to burn the rubber bushing out, but then you would have to clean it up afterwards, or try to cut it out

another option is to build a tool
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65881

basic hand tools will remove everything to get to the bushing, need a torque wrench though to put it back together properly

Last edited by alaskan155; 08-06-2012 at 06:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-06-2012, 07:16 AM
tac2front tac2front is offline
Senior Member
HondaSUV Senior
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskan155 View Post
you might be able to rent a ball-joint press and use that. if not/doesn't work just take the lower control arm and new bushing to a repair shop that have them press out the old and install the new, then you can reinstall the lower control arm saving money for labor to install and remove the control arm.

3rd option is get a 5lb mini sludge and socket(same diameter as bushing, but smaller than control arm), and hammer out the bushing(be careful with this method, because the lower control arm is aluminum i believe)

4th option is to burn the rubber bushing out, but then you would have to clean it up afterwards, or try to cut it out

another option is to build a tool
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65881

basic hand tools will remove everything to get to the bushing, need a torque wrench though to put it back together properly
Thanks for the tips. I'm mostly concerned about removing the LCA properly as to not damage or disturb any other parts or bushings ($$$ for more new parts). Remember I will be doing this in my driveway, by myself, so if a part springs out and "He-Man" strength is required to put it back in place then I will be in big trouble (or again, $$$ for a flatbed to the mechanic). Once it is off the car I am safe because if the DIY methods fail I can probably bring it into a shop to install the bushings.
__________________
1985 Honda Accord "The Reincarnated"
1996 Acura Integra "The Lost Love"
1998 Honda CRV - "The Tank"
2003 Honda CRV - "The Beater"
2010 Honda Pilot - "The Beast"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-06-2012, 02:42 PM
alaskan155 alaskan155 is offline
Banned
HondaSUV Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fort Collins
Posts: 210
Default

if you have a good tool set(with sockets and box wrenchs), jackstands, 5lb hammer and torque wrench you should be good,

the biggest hurdle will be removing the bushing/ serperating the knuckle from the balljoint,

to seperate the balljoint either flip the castle nut upside down and thread it back on and a few light taps with hammer or hit the knuckle with hammer until it separates. if you use a pickle fork to separate the balljoint from the knuckle then expect to replace the ball-joint with a new one, you can also tie the brake caliper back and remove the lower control arm and knuckle as an assembly, just have to undo the axle bolt and slide out the axle shaft(its the large bolt in center of wheel)

autozone.com might have the repair manual online to guide you if you need help,

Last edited by alaskan155; 08-06-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-06-2012, 02:58 PM
alaskan155 alaskan155 is offline
Banned
HondaSUV Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fort Collins
Posts: 210
Default

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-06-2012, 04:23 PM
tac2front tac2front is offline
Senior Member
HondaSUV Senior
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Posts: 168
Default

Alaskan155,

Many thanks for the helpful diagram! Looking at it and reading your advice I think I will be comfortable with removing the entire setup. But here is another million dollar question - during the reinstall, how difficult is it to put the ball joint back into place without using any specialized tools? Do you have any tips for this part of the install?
__________________
1985 Honda Accord "The Reincarnated"
1996 Acura Integra "The Lost Love"
1998 Honda CRV - "The Tank"
2003 Honda CRV - "The Beater"
2010 Honda Pilot - "The Beast"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-06-2012, 05:55 PM
alaskan155 alaskan155 is offline
Banned
HondaSUV Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fort Collins
Posts: 210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac2front View Post
Alaskan155,

Many thanks for the helpful diagram! Looking at it and reading your advice I think I will be comfortable with removing the entire setup. But here is another million dollar question - during the reinstall, how difficult is it to put the ball joint back into place without using any specialized tools? Do you have any tips for this part of the install?
pretty easy, worse case the stud on the balljoint spins but there should be a spot to use a box wrench or allen head to start it on the threaded part, that or use some pliers and open box wrench to start it worse case senario.

once it starts to tighten without spinning the stud then you can torque it to spec/tighten it with a regular socket

if you had to torque anything down the big one is the ball-joint so it seats correctly.

Last edited by alaskan155; 08-06-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-06-2012, 06:19 PM
tac2front tac2front is offline
Senior Member
HondaSUV Senior
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskan155 View Post
pretty easy, worse case the stud on the balljoint spins but there should be a spot to use a box wrench or allen head to start it on the threaded part, that or use some pliers and open box wrench to start it worse case senario.

once it starts to tighten without spinning the stud then you can torque it to spec/tighten it with a regular socket

if you had to torque anything down the big one is the ball-joint so it seats correctly.
Sounds good so far. What about the process of "popping" the ball joint back into the LCA? You provided excellent details on how to pop it off ("either flip the castle nut upside down and thread it back on and a few light taps with hammer or hit the knuckle with hammer until it separates"). I'm thinking the weight of the car and the use of a jack can put it back in its place but want to confirm with someone who knows first.
__________________
1985 Honda Accord "The Reincarnated"
1996 Acura Integra "The Lost Love"
1998 Honda CRV - "The Tank"
2003 Honda CRV - "The Beater"
2010 Honda Pilot - "The Beast"
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-06-2012, 08:07 PM
alaskan155 alaskan155 is offline
Banned
HondaSUV Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fort Collins
Posts: 210
Default

looking at the picture it stays in the Knuckle(part #3 in your picture) so its a matter of just putting a jack under the LCA or pushing the LCA up with your hands.... and aligning the stud(you will see when you take it apart) back into the hole....

you thinking to much about it...LOL
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-08-2012, 06:30 AM
tac2front tac2front is offline
Senior Member
HondaSUV Senior
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskan155 View Post
looking at the picture it stays in the Knuckle(part #3 in your picture) so its a matter of just putting a jack under the LCA or pushing the LCA up with your hands.... and aligning the stud(you will see when you take it apart) back into the hole....

you thinking to much about it...LOL
Better to play it safe as the whole idea of this DIY job is to save $$$ ($20 DIY vs. $350 at the dealer). Last thing I need is an additional $100 tow charge on top of the $350 if I encounter a "technical glitch" when trying to put everything back together.

I will probably do it this weekend - I will keep you updated
__________________
1985 Honda Accord "The Reincarnated"
1996 Acura Integra "The Lost Love"
1998 Honda CRV - "The Tank"
2003 Honda CRV - "The Beater"
2010 Honda Pilot - "The Beast"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lower Front Control Arm-How to get last bolt out randyj CR-V::Clinical Rounds 7 03-11-2013 03:52 PM
Front Lower control arm bushing, any hope to find? kelo22 HR-V::Clinical Rounds 1 12-15-2009 12:18 AM
Front lower control arm, rear bushing canuck12ca CR-V::Clinical Rounds 7 11-04-2008 09:04 AM
Front Lower Control Arms PoloStevenson CR-V::Parts and Accessories 5 04-10-2008 05:51 PM
COntrol Arm bushings - 2000 CRV peterD CR-V::Clinical Rounds 0 03-23-2005 02:12 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We are not affliated with Honda Motor Corp. The Honda name and logo are registered trademarks of American Honda Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. All rights reserved world-wide. Copyright 2006.