HondaSUV Forums - Discussion forum and bulletin board for Honda CR-V, CRV, Element, Pilot, HR-V owners
 

Go Back   HondaSUV Forums - Discussion forum and bulletin board for Honda CR-V, CRV, Element, Pilot, HR-V owners > Honda Pilot Forums > Pilot::Clinical Rounds

Pilot::Clinical Rounds Routine maintenance, problems, solutions and repair

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-25-2010, 07:52 AM
tac2front tac2front is offline
Senior Member
HondaSUV Senior
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Posts: 168
Default 2010 Pilot will not start - battery drained

My Pilot has been pretty much trouble free with the exception of the intermittent moonroof problem (auto closes half way then auto opens and will not stay closed). Anyway this weekend I went to start it up and "Click Clik Click Clik". Will not start. I had to jump the battery and it started right up. I called the dealer and they said to bring it in for possible battery malfunction. But as an educated consumer I am going to guess that the problem is deeper than that. Thanks to Big Island V for providing information on TSB 10-030 (however the links no longer work?).

I will update after the service appt and let you all know what the issue was.

Also, this got me thinking - do 2010 Hondas come with free roadside assistance? I know my old Acura had it - I never thought to ask when I purchased the Pilot (realiability was never an issue with all my Hondas so the thought never crossed my mind)
__________________
1985 Honda Accord "The Reincarnated"
1996 Acura Integra "The Lost Love"
1998 Honda CRV - "The Tank"
2003 Honda CRV - "The Beater"
2010 Honda Pilot - "The Beast"
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-25-2010, 01:40 PM
blucrve's Avatar
blucrve blucrve is offline
Senior Member
HondaSUV Mentor
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac2front View Post
My Pilot has been pretty much trouble free with the exception of the intermittent moonroof problem (auto closes half way then auto opens and will not stay closed). Anyway this weekend I went to start it up and "Click Clik Click Clik". Will not start. I had to jump the battery and it started right up. I called the dealer and they said to bring it in for possible battery malfunction. But as an educated consumer I am going to guess that the problem is deeper than that. Thanks to Big Island V for providing information on TSB 10-030 (however the links no longer work?).

I will update after the service appt and let you all know what the issue was.

Also, this got me thinking - do 2010 Hondas come with free roadside assistance? I know my old Acura had it - I never thought to ask when I purchased the Pilot (realiability was never an issue with all my Hondas so the thought never crossed my mind)
I've had the same issue with my 2010. What I found out is that the positive terminal clamp can get loose and you can literally remove the clamp with your hands if you twist it back and forth no matter how you tighten the clamp. I took it to the dealer and I'm not sure what they did but the clamp is no longer loose. They told me that they have seen this a lot with the 2010's. This happened to me 1 week after I bought the car. Not sure if you have the same issue.
__________________
My rides
2003 Eternal Blue CRV EX-
1999 Silver Dodge Viper -
2010 Silver Pilot 4wd EX-L w/ RES -
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-25-2010, 02:11 PM
tac2front tac2front is offline
Senior Member
HondaSUV Senior
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Posts: 168
Default

Blu,

That was one of the first things I checked when I first got the Pilot (I think per your mention in one of your posts if I'm not mistaken). Unfortunately the problem is not that simple. The dealer changed my battery and performed the TSB 10-030.

If you have not done this recall on your Pilot I suggest you check with your dealer to see if you need it (Not just for the moonroof function but for the fact that the moonroof circuit can and will drain your battery if vehicle is left parked for a few days). Fortunately my Pilot didnt start on my driveway, even though I had it fully packed ready for a weekend trip. Small inconvenience for me but if it happened at my destination it would easily be a disaster.
__________________
1985 Honda Accord "The Reincarnated"
1996 Acura Integra "The Lost Love"
1998 Honda CRV - "The Tank"
2003 Honda CRV - "The Beater"
2010 Honda Pilot - "The Beast"

Last edited by tac2front; 10-25-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-26-2010, 10:13 AM
blucrve's Avatar
blucrve blucrve is offline
Senior Member
HondaSUV Mentor
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac2front View Post
Blu,

That was one of the first things I checked when I first got the Pilot (I think per your mention in one of your posts if I'm not mistaken). Unfortunately the problem is not that simple. The dealer changed my battery and performed the TSB 10-030.

If you have not done this recall on your Pilot I suggest you check with your dealer to see if you need it (Not just for the moonroof function but for the fact that the moonroof circuit can and will drain your battery if vehicle is left parked for a few days). Fortunately my Pilot didnt start on my driveway, even though I had it fully packed ready for a weekend trip. Small inconvenience for me but if it happened at my destination it would easily be a disaster.
I got the recall notice for the moonroof, but I did not see this TSB. I will have them check it out on my next oil change but so far so good on my car.
__________________
My rides
2003 Eternal Blue CRV EX-
1999 Silver Dodge Viper -
2010 Silver Pilot 4wd EX-L w/ RES -
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-07-2010, 01:44 PM
blucrve's Avatar
blucrve blucrve is offline
Senior Member
HondaSUV Mentor
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,190
Default

Did you get the dealer to find the problem?
__________________
My rides
2003 Eternal Blue CRV EX-
1999 Silver Dodge Viper -
2010 Silver Pilot 4wd EX-L w/ RES -
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-02-2011, 07:23 PM
tac2front tac2front is offline
Senior Member
HondaSUV Senior
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucrve View Post
Did you get the dealer to find the problem?
The dealer reprogrammed the moonroof control and gave me a new battery. Its been over 2 months now and no more issues, even after sitting for days in sub zero temps now. But I am starting to notice that the remote door lock/unlock range and responsiveness is starting to deteriorate - not sure what this is all about...
__________________
1985 Honda Accord "The Reincarnated"
1996 Acura Integra "The Lost Love"
1998 Honda CRV - "The Tank"
2003 Honda CRV - "The Beater"
2010 Honda Pilot - "The Beast"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-02-2011, 08:21 PM
BigIslandV's Avatar
BigIslandV BigIslandV is offline
Senior Member
HondaSUV Mentor
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pahoa, Hawaii
Posts: 3,639
Default

09-099
July 16, 2010
Applies To:
See VEHICLES AFFECTED Keyless Remote Works Intermittently Or Not At All
(Supersedes 09-099, dated February 17, 2010, to revise the information marked by the black bars and asterisks)
*REVISION SUMMARY
Under VEHICLES AFFECTED, VIN numbers for the 2010 Pilot were changed.*
SYMPTOM
The keyless remote works intermittently or not at all.
PROBABLE CAUSE
There is an excessive gap between the keyless remote's printed circuit board and its lower cover.


VIN range:
2009 Pilot - ALL
2010:

Pilot 2wd: 5fnyf3...AB000001 thru AB008521
Pilot 4wd: 5fnyf4...AB000001 thru AB014917
Pilot 2wd, Touring: 5fnyf3 AB000001 thru AB008581
Pilot 4wd, Touring: 5fnyf4 AB000001 thru AB014946


CORRECTIVE ACTION
Replace the keyless remote module. Use the HDS to rewrite the transponder code into the immobilizer control unit.
PARTS INFORMATION
Keyless Remote Module:
Accord - P/N 72147-TA0-A03 Pilot - P/N 72147-SZA-A03 Pilot (Touring Model Driver 1) - P/N 72147-SZA-A13 Pilot (Touring Model Driver 2) - P/N 72147-SZA-A23

(The TSB continues on, with pics, but I cannot copy the pics here)
__________________
99 EX 5sp and 04 EX Auto CR-V's, 06 Ruckus, 89 Jeep Cherokee Beach Finder... Big Island, Hawaii . . . Aloha!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-03-2011, 05:09 PM
chiph's Avatar
chiph chiph is offline
Senior Member
HondaSUV Mentor
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Austin TX, USA
Posts: 3,055
Default

It might also be that the cold weather in Dirty Jersey means the grease inside the lock actuator is stiffening up.

Chip H.
__________________

Former owner of: 2012 Civic LX, 2006 Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CRV EX
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-03-2011, 05:50 PM
tac2front tac2front is offline
Senior Member
HondaSUV Senior
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiph View Post
It might also be that the cold weather in Dirty Jersey means the grease inside the lock actuator is stiffening up.

Chip H.
Possibly but not likely since the lights do not blink either (such as when locking and unlocking). I think Big Island V has the most probably cause.. I will take it to the dealer when I get a chance.
__________________
1985 Honda Accord "The Reincarnated"
1996 Acura Integra "The Lost Love"
1998 Honda CRV - "The Tank"
2003 Honda CRV - "The Beater"
2010 Honda Pilot - "The Beast"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 2010 Pilot saleen89 Check out my Pilot gallery! 3 08-25-2010 07:52 PM
2010 Pilot EX-L w/ RES blucrve Pilot::Help me decide! 13 01-21-2010 02:07 PM
2010 Pilot carnuted Honda News 3 09-05-2009 08:13 AM
How much time will the battery play a CD and the car still start ? insomniac CR-V::General Opinions, Commentaries and Observations 30 01-30-2009 03:39 PM
CR-V won't start....has 47k miles...do I need a new battery fraga CR-V::Clinical Rounds 24 12-30-2006 08:34 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We are not affliated with Honda Motor Corp. The Honda name and logo are registered trademarks of American Honda Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. All rights reserved world-wide. Copyright 2006.