HondaSUV Forums - Discussion forum and bulletin board for Honda CR-V, CRV, Element, Pilot, HR-V owners
 

Go Back   HondaSUV Forums - Discussion forum and bulletin board for Honda CR-V, CRV, Element, Pilot, HR-V owners > 2007 to 2011 Honda CR-V > Issues and complaints! What's wrong with my CR-V?

Issues and complaints! What's wrong with my CR-V? So, this is brand new model year and issues are bound to be present. Post what you are experiencing here and how the dealer resolved them!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-25-2008, 04:46 AM
UpstateNY123 UpstateNY123 is offline
Junior Member
HondaSUV junior in training
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 24
Default Oil Change

Details -
Purchased in August 2007
mileage - 5300
Driving mostly to work and back, round trip -24 miles, back roads
Okay, I know the CRV has a maintenance reminder system, but the oil % has been at 60% for what seems like forever. I know they say follow this, but I've been trained to change oil much sooner. Should I call and make an appointment or wait for the system to get to 0%?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-25-2008, 05:02 AM
wrenchingaround's Avatar
wrenchingaround wrenchingaround is offline
Senior Member
HondaSUV Mentor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: toronto, ontario
Posts: 5,928
Default

Oh no, you sure you want to start this again, maintenance minder/oil change intervals are a sensitive matter around here!! Do a search on the topic and you'll have enough reading for the morning.
__________________
LOUIS
2000 CR-V ex RT4WD Auto (166,000 kms)
1965 MG Midget MKII
(currently working on putting it back on the road for summer 2012 )
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-25-2008, 05:53 AM
sparkydave sparkydave is offline
Senior Member
HondaSUV Mentor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Westfield Center, OH
Posts: 604
Default

Read your owner's manual; it's very clear on not changing the oil until the first scheduled oil change, and that it will start reminding you to change it at 15%, not 0%.
__________________
2008 CR-V LX 2WD
Glacier Blue
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-25-2008, 06:29 AM
UpstateNY123 UpstateNY123 is offline
Junior Member
HondaSUV junior in training
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 24
Default

I know I know, read the maintenance book, but I thought there had been discussions on the issue and wanted to find out here first. I will search, not sure how. Thxs!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-25-2008, 06:43 AM
sleeksilver's Avatar
sleeksilver sleeksilver is offline
Moderator
HondaSUV Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vienna/Fairfax/Warrenton, VA
Posts: 20,664
Default

Wait till 15%.
__________________
Mitch
2003 CR-V EX 4A | Chianti Red - K&N Typhoon SRI - Alpine/Orion 10" Sub and Amp - Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S 215/70-15 - Garmin Nuvi Navigation - Osram SilverStar
2010 MAZDASPEED3 | Liquid Silver - CP-e SRI - CP-e Turbo Inlet Pipe - Corksport Race Pipe - DDM Tuning 35W 5,000K HIDs - MTEC Golden Yellow Fogs - All LED Interior Bulbs - LED Plate Bulbs - 35% Tint Coming Soon - CP-e Downpipe Coming Soon
1990 Mazda Miata | True Red - (Track Machine) Stock, for now
2008 Adventurer 150cc Scooter
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-25-2008, 07:07 AM
4hondaowner's Avatar
4hondaowner 4hondaowner is offline
Administrator
Site AdminHondaSUV Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Duluth, Georgia
Posts: 13,439
Honda Post Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchingaround View Post
Oh no, you sure you want to start this again, maintenance minder/oil change intervals are a sensitive matter around here!!
Well said.

My two cents - I'm a 3,000 to 4,000 mile man and I am against a computer telling me when to change my oil. I'm sure the system works well, but...

__________________
Kevin
2000 Honda CR-V LX "Touring Edition" (139,000)

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-25-2008, 07:41 AM
sleeksilver's Avatar
sleeksilver sleeksilver is offline
Moderator
HondaSUV Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vienna/Fairfax/Warrenton, VA
Posts: 20,664
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4hondaowner View Post
Well said.

My two cents - I'm a 3,000 to 4,000 mile man and I am against a computer telling me when to change my oil. I'm sure the system works well, but...

You should have an oil analysis done after 4000 miles to see how your oil is doing, then you will be a believer....
__________________
Mitch
2003 CR-V EX 4A | Chianti Red - K&N Typhoon SRI - Alpine/Orion 10" Sub and Amp - Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S 215/70-15 - Garmin Nuvi Navigation - Osram SilverStar
2010 MAZDASPEED3 | Liquid Silver - CP-e SRI - CP-e Turbo Inlet Pipe - Corksport Race Pipe - DDM Tuning 35W 5,000K HIDs - MTEC Golden Yellow Fogs - All LED Interior Bulbs - LED Plate Bulbs - 35% Tint Coming Soon - CP-e Downpipe Coming Soon
1990 Mazda Miata | True Red - (Track Machine) Stock, for now
2008 Adventurer 150cc Scooter
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-25-2008, 07:53 AM
jeprox's Avatar
jeprox jeprox is offline
Senior Member
HondaSUV Mentor
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: canada, eh!
Posts: 445
Default

this maintenance minder thing really is getting people worried, honda shoulda just stick to the old school way of maintenance - every 5000kms or every 8000kms.

i changed my oil at 7100kms last weekend, that's around 4437 miles and it's at 30%. when i drained the oil, it was totally black/dirty. from now on, i've decided to change oil/filter at the usual 5000kms interval (3125 miles). oil/filter are cheap so i dont have a problem with it. yes there is a MMS on the crv. in case some of you dont know, you can actually check what is the upcoming service it needs on the MMS. so i will check the upcoming services and do them as per the MMS, but change oil at every 5000kms. instead of waiting for it to tell me. i estimate that if i wait for the MMS, i will be approximately around 9000 or 10,000kms before i reach 15% to 0%. that is far too long for me for an oil change.

i think of this MMS thing as similar to a person taking a bath. you feel good taking a bath daily or often. if you take a bath once a month or once every 2 weeks, you gonna start scratching and itching. so i'm sure changing the oil at shorter intervals would keep the engine happier.

one interesting note i should mention is that i got a letter from the dealer where i bought the car 2 weeks ago. letter was saying my crv is due for its first service A this week and to call them and make an appt. so that tells me the dealer is following the regular schedule of newer honda cars which is... 8000kms or 5 to 6 months. my sister's 04 accord is on this honda schedule of every 8000kms or 5 to 6 months.

Last edited by jeprox; 03-25-2008 at 07:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-25-2008, 08:02 AM
sleeksilver's Avatar
sleeksilver sleeksilver is offline
Moderator
HondaSUV Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vienna/Fairfax/Warrenton, VA
Posts: 20,664
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprox View Post
this maintenance minder thing really is getting people worried, honda shoulda just stick to the old school way of maintenance - every 5000kms or every 8000kms.

i changed my oil at 7100kms last weekend, that's around 4437 miles and it's at 30%. when i drained the oil, it was totally black/dirty. from now on, i've decided to change oil/filter at the usual 5000kms interval (3125 miles). oil/filter are cheap so i dont have a problem with it. yes there is a MMS on the crv. in case some of you dont know, you can actually check what is the upcoming service it needs on the MMS. so i will check the upcoming services and do them as per the MMS, but change oil at every 5000kms. instead of waiting for it to tell me. i estimate that if i wait for the MMS, i will be approximately around 9000 or 10,000kms before i reach 15% to 0%. that is far too long for me for an oil change.

i think of this MMS thing as similar to a person taking a bath. you feel good taking a bath daily or often. if you take a bath once a month or once every 2 weeks, you gonna start scratching and itching. so i'm sure changing the oil at shorter intervals would keep the engine happier.

one interesting note i should mention is that i got a letter from the dealer where i bought the car 2 weeks ago. letter was saying my crv is due for its first service A this week and to call them and make an appt. so that tells me the dealer is following the regular schedule of newer honda cars which is... 8000kms or 5 to 6 months. my sister's 04 accord is on this honda schedule of every 8000kms or 5 to 6 months.
Of course the oil is going to be dirty, have an analysis done and don't let the appearance of the oil be your determining factor.... That makes absolutely no sense, you can not determine how your oil is performing by looking at it. There was another member on here who had an analysis done at 15% and it said the oil was still fine to use.

Don't go by what the dealership recommends to you, go by what your manual says. The dealer is trying to get more money from you and it has been discussed at great lengths here already.
__________________
Mitch
2003 CR-V EX 4A | Chianti Red - K&N Typhoon SRI - Alpine/Orion 10" Sub and Amp - Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S 215/70-15 - Garmin Nuvi Navigation - Osram SilverStar
2010 MAZDASPEED3 | Liquid Silver - CP-e SRI - CP-e Turbo Inlet Pipe - Corksport Race Pipe - DDM Tuning 35W 5,000K HIDs - MTEC Golden Yellow Fogs - All LED Interior Bulbs - LED Plate Bulbs - 35% Tint Coming Soon - CP-e Downpipe Coming Soon
1990 Mazda Miata | True Red - (Track Machine) Stock, for now
2008 Adventurer 150cc Scooter
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-25-2008, 08:04 AM
4hondaowner's Avatar
4hondaowner 4hondaowner is offline
Administrator
Site AdminHondaSUV Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Duluth, Georgia
Posts: 13,439
Thumbs up Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeksilver View Post
You should have an oil analysis done after 4000 miles to see how your oil is doing, then you will be a believer....
Maybe a brain analysis also.

Got into a spirited discussion last night with one of my bowling teammates. He has a BMW and changes the oil every 15,000 miles for $90 at the dealership. Seems they have to reset something on the dash also.

Never had an oil analysis done before. My brain says when it comes out black, it is dirty.

__________________
Kevin
2000 Honda CR-V LX "Touring Edition" (139,000)

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1st oil change help! thanks! GBV Honda CR-V General Discussions 12 11-19-2007 03:58 PM
transmission fluid change...change filter?? element51 CR-V::Clinical Rounds 18 05-31-2006 03:23 PM
Change from 2wd to 4wd dlarsoncrv CR-V::General Opinions, Commentaries and Observations 8 12-06-2004 06:17 AM
When to get first CR-V oil change? luvsuv CR-V::General Opinions, Commentaries and Observations 5 11-29-2004 10:12 AM
How often for an oil change? dlphntat CR-V::General Opinions, Commentaries and Observations 34 08-26-2004 09:34 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We are not affliated with Honda Motor Corp. The Honda name and logo are registered trademarks of American Honda Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. All rights reserved world-wide. Copyright 2006.