HondaSUV Forums - Discussion forum and bulletin board for Honda CR-V, CRV, Element, Pilot, HR-V owners
 

Go Back   HondaSUV Forums - Discussion forum and bulletin board for Honda CR-V, CRV, Element, Pilot, HR-V owners > 2007 to 2011 Honda CR-V > Honda CR-V General Discussions

Honda CR-V General Discussions General discussions on the 3rd generation Honda CR-V.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-05-2008, 02:13 PM
sparkydave sparkydave is offline
Senior Member
HondaSUV Mentor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Westfield Center, OH
Posts: 604
Default Anybody use Castrol transmission fluid?

Okay, before folks go preaching "thou shalt only use Honda ATF Z1", I did some searching around and found the Amsoil horror story. Looking at Amsoil's specs, they apparently figure that their ATF meets everyone's specs, so that seems just a little suspicious that it somehow meets Chrysler ATF+4, Ford Mercon, GM Dexron III, and the imports (Nissan Matic D and J, and Honda Z1). I'm not surprised that it might cause problems; how can one fluid meet all those specs? Not buying it.

On the other hand, Castrol makes several different transmission fluids, and the import multi-vehicle ATF doesn't read like the "one type fits all". Still not sure what makes Honda's automatics so unique, but since the Z1 doesn't seem to hold up as long as Honda would like you to think, I'd rather use something that does hold up well and is easier to come by, so long as it doesn't mean certain transmission death. It works well in our Subaru, if that's any indication.

Anybody tried it?
__________________
2008 CR-V LX 2WD
Glacier Blue
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-05-2008, 02:24 PM
mrtn's Avatar
mrtn mrtn is offline
Senior Member
HondaSUV Mentor
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tallinn, Estonia, EU
Posts: 5,795
Default

is there a really cost-effective reason to try it?
__________________
2008 Mazda 6 GT 2.3 SportWagon M/T (103 000 km)
2008 CR-V 2.0 A/T Executive Navi, Nighthawk Black Pearl (109 000 km)
ex-2002 HR-V 1.6i LS CVT Joy Machine Nighthawk Black Pearl (sold at 192 000 km)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-05-2008, 02:37 PM
liquidfuel88's Avatar
liquidfuel88 liquidfuel88 is offline
Moderator
HondaSUV Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 14,840
Default

What's the point of risking a transmission?

ATF-Z1 works and it's not expensive.
__________________
David
173,454 miles on 1/17/11 ---The End---



Euro Bumper | In-Dash Navigation | Webasto Sunroof | Photo Gallery
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-05-2008, 02:42 PM
4hondaowner's Avatar
4hondaowner 4hondaowner is offline
Administrator
Site AdminHondaSUV Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Duluth, Georgia
Posts: 13,434
Thumbs down Oh no...................................

I won't preach.

ATF-Z1 only for my first generation.

__________________
Kevin
2000 Honda CR-V LX "Touring Edition" (137,600)

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-05-2008, 04:23 PM
texgal's Avatar
texgal texgal is offline
Senior Member
HondaSUV Mentor
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Somewhere near Austin, TX
Posts: 2,907
Default

Only the genuine Honda ATF-Z1 for my V or my Mom's Accord.....why risk it. My family has owned three Accords, three CRV's and a Civic...only Honda fluids!!!!
__________________
2007 Whistler Silver EX
OEM Front Mud Guards, OEM All Weather Mats, Cargo Tray, Tinted Windows, 3M Paint Protection Film
2009 Little Silver

Last edited by texgal; 03-05-2008 at 06:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-05-2008, 06:04 PM
06whtcrv 06whtcrv is offline
Senior Member
HondaSUV Mentor
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkydave View Post
Okay, before folks go preaching "thou shalt only use Honda ATF Z1", I did some searching around and found the Amsoil horror story. Looking at Amsoil's specs, they apparently figure that their ATF meets everyone's specs, so that seems just a little suspicious that it somehow meets Chrysler ATF+4, Ford Mercon, GM Dexron III, and the imports (Nissan Matic D and J, and Honda Z1). I'm not surprised that it might cause problems; how can one fluid meet all those specs? Not buying it.

On the other hand, Castrol makes several different transmission fluids, and the import multi-vehicle ATF doesn't read like the "one type fits all". Still not sure what makes Honda's automatics so unique, but since the Z1 doesn't seem to hold up as long as Honda would like you to think, I'd rather use something that does hold up well and is easier to come by, so long as it doesn't mean certain transmission death. It works well in our Subaru, if that's any indication.

Anybody tried it?
Are you ready for a trans fluid change already? What is the reason you don't want to use Honda fluid? Price? availability?
__________________
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads." -- Dr Emmett Brown, BTTF
2006 EX M5 - 86K miles -- Homelink, Curt Hitch, WT Cargo Liner, Mud Flaps, Yak Roof Rack, Glove Box switch - TSB04-064, wheelskins (Brn), Magellan 4040, 5-lug naked spare.
2007 Gl Blue EX - 97K miles - Mats, Cargo Tray, Remote Start, Magellan 4040, Yakima Roof Rack, wheelskins (Blk)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-05-2008, 09:37 PM
NLPayne NLPayne is offline
Senior Member
HondaSUV Senior
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Fulltime Traveler
Posts: 168
Default

Back when I was dumb (before joining this forum) I put Mobil transmission fluid in my 99 CR-V. In about 3000 miles the transmission started shuttering and jerking between 30 and 40 mph. As soon as I realized my mistake I had a Honda shop do the 3-exchange transmission change with Honda fluid and the problem stopped. I drove it another 100,000 trouble free miles, exchanging the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles.

I now have an 07 CR-V EX AWD and it will see nothing but Honda fluids.
__________________
NLPayne - Fulltime Traveler
2007 EX AWD Borrego Beige (2011 SE 2WD for daughter)
Fog Lights - Tailgate Spoiler - Body Side Moldings - Chrome Exhaust - Splash Guards - LED Interior Lights - Blue Ox Baseplate for Towing behind Motorhome
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-06-2008, 05:02 AM
wrenchingaround's Avatar
wrenchingaround wrenchingaround is offline
Senior Member
HondaSUV Mentor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: toronto, ontario
Posts: 5,928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtn View Post
is there a really cost-effective reason to try it?
Exactly, what are we talking about, maybe a dollar a bottle if any?? Why bother "experimenting" with something unknown when you can just use the stuff the builder's of the car made specifically for it.
__________________
LOUIS
2000 CR-V ex RT4WD Auto (166,000 kms)
1965 MG Midget MKII
(currently working on putting it back on the road for summer 2012 )
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-06-2008, 06:34 AM
sparkydave sparkydave is offline
Senior Member
HondaSUV Mentor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Westfield Center, OH
Posts: 604
Default

I'm guessing the answer is "no, nobody has tried Castrol". Too bad folks feel the need to give lectures and unrelated anecdotes instead of just answering a simple question. Maybe if Castrol works equally well or better than ATF-Z1, costs less and lasts longer, I'd rather use that, which is why I ASKED IF ANYBODY TRIED IT.

BTW, why do folks assume I'm changing it already? I only asked "Anybody tried it?". I didn't say "ooh, I just can't wait to change it, I'm going to change it right away!"
__________________
2008 CR-V LX 2WD
Glacier Blue
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-06-2008, 07:01 AM
N_Jay N_Jay is offline
Senior Member
HondaSUV Mentor
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,970
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkydave View Post
I'm guessing the answer is "no, nobody has tried Castrol". Too bad folks feel the need to give lectures and unrelated anecdotes instead of just answering a simple question. Maybe if Castrol works equally well or better than ATF-Z1, costs less and lasts longer, I'd rather use that, which is why I ASKED IF ANYBODY TRIED IT.

BTW, why do folks assume I'm changing it already? I only asked "Anybody tried it?". I didn't say "ooh, I just can't wait to change it, I'm going to change it right away!"

I think people answer that way in reaction to the many times people have tried some other fluid, raved about how well it works, and then later had issues.

Does Castrol advertise it as "Honda Compatible"?
__________________
02 CRV
03 Pilot
07 MB E350
73 914
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
question about transmission fluid globingene CR-V::Clinical Rounds 9 06-01-2006 09:47 AM
Castrol replied to My Question about CASTROL SYNTEC honguy CR-V::Clinical Rounds 17 02-25-2006 06:33 AM
Is there a DIY on changing the transmission fluid? hammyoni CR-V::Clinical Rounds 4 12-01-2004 01:43 PM
Transmission Fluid Change 5DX CR-V::Clinical Rounds 20 11-22-2004 05:13 PM
Transmission Fluid Change uncletauntc CR-V::Clinical Rounds 5 07-19-2004 09:56 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We are not affliated with Honda Motor Corp. The Honda name and logo are registered trademarks of American Honda Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. All rights reserved world-wide. Copyright 2006.