HondaSUV Forums - Discussion forum and bulletin board for Honda CR-V, CRV, Element, Pilot, HR-V owners
 

Go Back   HondaSUV Forums - Discussion forum and bulletin board for Honda CR-V, CRV, Element, Pilot, HR-V owners > 1997 to 2006 Honda CR-V > CR-V::Clinical Rounds

CR-V::Clinical Rounds Routine maintenance, problems, solutions and repair

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 08-03-2006, 02:26 PM
pks485's Avatar
pks485 pks485 is offline
Senior Member
HondaSUV Mentor
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Philly & NYC
Posts: 507
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adl
Hey man,

I purchased some Yoko Avid Tourings through Tirerack, so it was somewhat similar to what you're thinking about doing. I had them delivered to my local Big O tires. I think Big O wanted about $80/tire (before installation), whereas tirerack wanted around $43/tire (before shipping, which was around $30). They were quite courteous about it. However, be sure you're comparing apples to apples. The deal I got did not include lifetime rotations/balance. Just make sure you add that in to your cost. The tread was pretty much gone a little before 50k miles. I asked Yokohoma and Tirerack about getting warranty on them. Tirerack was more than happy to comply (they'd give something like $10-15/tire back), IF I'd send the tires back to them. So think about that, as well.

I replaced the Yokos about a month ago or so with Michelin X Radials (#2 in the recent consumer reports test). Went to Sam's and was very happy with the experience. $71/tire (that's installed and with road hazard, lifetime rotate/balance, tax, etc.).

Who pays shipping for warranty returns with tires.com and tirerack.com? Is it the consumer or the company?
__________________

Saving the world, One retrofit at a time
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-03-2006, 02:34 PM
adl adl is offline
Senior Member
HondaSUV Senior
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: OK, the world, the universe.
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pks485
Quote:
Originally Posted by adl
Hey man,

I purchased some Yoko Avid Tourings through Tirerack, so it was somewhat similar to what you're thinking about doing. I had them delivered to my local Big O tires. I think Big O wanted about $80/tire (before installation), whereas tirerack wanted around $43/tire (before shipping, which was around $30). They were quite courteous about it. However, be sure you're comparing apples to apples. The deal I got did not include lifetime rotations/balance. Just make sure you add that in to your cost. The tread was pretty much gone a little before 50k miles. I asked Yokohoma and Tirerack about getting warranty on them. Tirerack was more than happy to comply (they'd give something like $10-15/tire back), IF I'd send the tires back to them. So think about that, as well.

I replaced the Yokos about a month ago or so with Michelin X Radials (#2 in the recent consumer reports test). Went to Sam's and was very happy with the experience. $71/tire (that's installed and with road hazard, lifetime rotate/balance, tax, etc.).

Who pays shipping for warranty returns with tires.com and tirerack.com? Is it the consumer or the company?
The consumer.
__________________
'98 LX, AWD
5-speed manual
150,031 miles, as of 12/8/2009
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-03-2006, 03:04 PM
liquidfuel88's Avatar
liquidfuel88 liquidfuel88 is offline
Moderator
HondaSUV Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 14,840
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adl
Quote:
Originally Posted by pks485
Quote:
Originally Posted by adl
Hey man,

I purchased some Yoko Avid Tourings through Tirerack, so it was somewhat similar to what you're thinking about doing. I had them delivered to my local Big O tires. I think Big O wanted about $80/tire (before installation), whereas tirerack wanted around $43/tire (before shipping, which was around $30). They were quite courteous about it. However, be sure you're comparing apples to apples. The deal I got did not include lifetime rotations/balance. Just make sure you add that in to your cost. The tread was pretty much gone a little before 50k miles. I asked Yokohoma and Tirerack about getting warranty on them. Tirerack was more than happy to comply (they'd give something like $10-15/tire back), IF I'd send the tires back to them. So think about that, as well.

I replaced the Yokos about a month ago or so with Michelin X Radials (#2 in the recent consumer reports test). Went to Sam's and was very happy with the experience. $71/tire (that's installed and with road hazard, lifetime rotate/balance, tax, etc.).

Who pays shipping for warranty returns with tires.com and tirerack.com? Is it the consumer or the company?
The consumer.
__________________
David
173,454 miles on 1/17/11 ---The End---



Euro Bumper | In-Dash Navigation | Webasto Sunroof | Photo Gallery
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-03-2006, 04:15 PM
adl adl is offline
Senior Member
HondaSUV Senior
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: OK, the world, the universe.
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidfuel88
Quote:
Originally Posted by adl
Quote:
Originally Posted by pks485
Quote:
Originally Posted by adl
Hey man,

I purchased some Yoko Avid Tourings through Tirerack, so it was somewhat similar to what you're thinking about doing. I had them delivered to my local Big O tires. I think Big O wanted about $80/tire (before installation), whereas tirerack wanted around $43/tire (before shipping, which was around $30). They were quite courteous about it. However, be sure you're comparing apples to apples. The deal I got did not include lifetime rotations/balance. Just make sure you add that in to your cost. The tread was pretty much gone a little before 50k miles. I asked Yokohoma and Tirerack about getting warranty on them. Tirerack was more than happy to comply (they'd give something like $10-15/tire back), IF I'd send the tires back to them. So think about that, as well.

I replaced the Yokos about a month ago or so with Michelin X Radials (#2 in the recent consumer reports test). Went to Sam's and was very happy with the experience. $71/tire (that's installed and with road hazard, lifetime rotate/balance, tax, etc.).

Who pays shipping for warranty returns with tires.com and tirerack.com? Is it the consumer or the company?
The consumer.
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I decided to go local this time. I did call the local Big O dealer who installed them. I asked if they could help me out with the warranty (they carry Yokohamas), I'd buy my next set directly through them. They were unable to help out.

And by the way, I typed the wrong price above for what I paid for the X Radials. That was $71/tire before installation and everything else. The installed price was right at $340 or $85/tire.
__________________
'98 LX, AWD
5-speed manual
150,031 miles, as of 12/8/2009
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-03-2006, 07:21 PM
blueiedgod's Avatar
blueiedgod blueiedgod is offline
Senior Member
HondaSUV Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Amherst, NY USA
Posts: 10,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adl
And by the way, I typed the wrong price above for what I paid for the X Radials. That was $71/tire before installation and everything else. The installed price was right at $340 or $85/tire.

That is still not a bad price.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-07-2006, 06:28 PM
blueiedgod's Avatar
blueiedgod blueiedgod is offline
Senior Member
HondaSUV Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Amherst, NY USA
Posts: 10,447
Default

Well, I finally broke down and got new tires. Futura Touring HT. The total with tax, installation and lifetime balancing was $352 - $50 Mail in rebate = $302. I Up Zeroed to 225/60-16.







I just drove around the neighorhood, and these are so much quieter than the stockies. I will see how they wear over time.

PepBoys would not put them on the car because of the legal issues and the non-OEM size, so I just dropped off the rims there.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-07-2006, 06:45 PM
4hondaowner's Avatar
4hondaowner 4hondaowner is offline
Administrator
Site AdminHondaSUV Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Duluth, Georgia
Posts: 13,451
Default

Good looking tires with good tread pattern. Middle picture threw me. Looked like two set of weights which is incorrect way to balance a new tire on rim. Old weight was at 3:00, new weight is at 8:00. Happy touring!
__________________
Kevin
2000 Honda CR-V LX "Touring Edition" (139,000)

Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-07-2006, 06:56 PM
blueiedgod's Avatar
blueiedgod blueiedgod is offline
Senior Member
HondaSUV Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Amherst, NY USA
Posts: 10,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4hondaowner
Good looking tires with good tread pattern. Middle picture threw me. Looked like two set of weights which is incorrect way to balance a new tire on rim. Old weight was at 3:00, new weight is at 8:00. Happy touring!
These tires are a little bit heavier than the OEM Duelers. Maybe that is why they were balanced this way. There are some weights on the inside of the rim as well. I will find out how bad it is when I take her on the highway, for some high speed driving.

The tires are actually labeled as Mud and snow tires (M+S on them).
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-07-2006, 09:12 PM
WestTexan's Avatar
WestTexan WestTexan is offline
Senior Member
HondaSUV Mentor
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Palestine, TX
Posts: 905
Default

Dave,
looks like a good deal. What is the "legal" issue that kept Pep Boys from installing the tires?
__________________
2005 CR-V EX - Silver Moss -- OEM Roof Rack from Bing at HondaSUV marketplace; OEM Cargo Tray; Backup Sensor; Odyssey Sunglass holder with HomeLink; custom two-tone pinstripe, Yokohama Avid TRZ tires
2008 Element LX - Tango Red Pearl
2011 Element LX - Alabaster Silver
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-07-2006, 10:34 PM
pks485's Avatar
pks485 pks485 is offline
Senior Member
HondaSUV Mentor
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Philly & NYC
Posts: 507
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexan
Dave,
looks like a good deal. What is the "legal" issue that kept Pep Boys from installing the tires?
plus sizing
__________________

Saving the world, One retrofit at a time
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We are not affliated with Honda Motor Corp. The Honda name and logo are registered trademarks of American Honda Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. All rights reserved world-wide. Copyright 2006.