Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: How do I properly reset the check engine light

  1. #1
    Senior Member HondaSUV Senior
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dirty Jersey
    Posts
    168

    Default How do I properly reset the check engine light

    Check engine light has been on in my 2003 CRV. The Autozone folks scanned it and indicated that the "Bank #2 oxygen sensor" was throwing a fault. So I replaced the part last night with a Bosch Universal sensor (I know I was warned against using Bosch by some members here). But the cost ($58 ) vs the Denso part ($329) vs OEM Honda ($288 ) was just too big of a difference for me to not try it.

    Anyway, I simply disconnected the battery after the O2 replacement was completed, started up the car and the check engine light is off. This morning as I was driving to the dealer (to drop off for an inspection) the Check Engine light came back on (after maybe 10 minutes of driving).

    Did I use the proper procedure to reset the light? What is the proper procedure to do this?
    1985 Honda Accord "The Reincarnated"
    1996 Acura Integra "The Lost Love"
    1998 Honda CRV - "The Tank"
    2003 Honda CRV - "The Beater"
    2010 Honda Pilot - "The Beast"

  2. #2
    FFNC Site AdminHondaSUV Elder Racoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    A cornfield near Music City...
    Posts
    26,955

    Default

    Disconnecting the battery for a few minutes will clear the CEL.
    If it's back on you still have a problem.

    Get the code read, as it may be a different code.

    The Racoon

    White Diamond Pearl 2014 CR-V EX AWD (Gen 4)

    Accessories: splash guards, body side molding, moonroof visor, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech floor mats, Weathertech cargo tray

    Milano Pink 1999 CR-V EX 5 Speed (Gen 1.5) - SOLD at 127,997 miles
    Silver Moss Metallic 2006 CR-V EX 5 Speed (Gen 2.5) - SOLD at 86,647 miles

  3. #3
    Senior Member HondaSUV Senior
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dirty Jersey
    Posts
    168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Racoon View Post
    Disconnecting the battery for a few minutes will clear the CEL.
    If it's back on you still have a problem.

    Get the code read, as it may be a different code.

    Rac,

    What are the odds that the new O2 sensor and ECU needs some time to recalibrate itself in order to turn the CEL off? This is what the Autozone guys are saying (needs about 60-100 miles for the new O2 sensor to register)?
    1985 Honda Accord "The Reincarnated"
    1996 Acura Integra "The Lost Love"
    1998 Honda CRV - "The Tank"
    2003 Honda CRV - "The Beater"
    2010 Honda Pilot - "The Beast"

  4. #4
    FFNC Site AdminHondaSUV Elder Racoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    A cornfield near Music City...
    Posts
    26,955

    Default

    "register"?

    As soon as you plugged it in and started the engine the ECU should either see that the sensor is responding, or that it's not responding, or it's responses are outside the acceptable range.

    But, the real question is what is the current code(s) that's causing the CEL light to come on. The new code could be indicating a different problem with a different component that the faulty O2 sensor was previously masking.

    Without knowing what the current code is there's no way to know how to proceed.

    JM2C
    The Racoon

    White Diamond Pearl 2014 CR-V EX AWD (Gen 4)

    Accessories: splash guards, body side molding, moonroof visor, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech floor mats, Weathertech cargo tray

    Milano Pink 1999 CR-V EX 5 Speed (Gen 1.5) - SOLD at 127,997 miles
    Silver Moss Metallic 2006 CR-V EX 5 Speed (Gen 2.5) - SOLD at 86,647 miles

  5. #5
    Senior Member HondaSUV Senior
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dirty Jersey
    Posts
    168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Racoon View Post
    "register"?

    As soon as you plugged it in and started the engine the ECU should either see that the sensor is responding, or that it's not responding, or it's responses are outside the acceptable range.

    But, the real question is what is the current code(s) that's causing the CEL light to come on. The new code could be indicating a different problem with a different component that the faulty O2 sensor was previously masking.

    Without knowing what the current code is there's no way to know how to proceed.

    JM2C
    Rac,

    I scanned the ECU and it indicated a bank #1 O2 sensor..... So I replaced that part as well and right now it seems to be clean at last (well almost if we dont count the other non CEL triggering faults - another time another day). Fingers crossed on this one because its really starting to get expensive!
    1985 Honda Accord "The Reincarnated"
    1996 Acura Integra "The Lost Love"
    1998 Honda CRV - "The Tank"
    2003 Honda CRV - "The Beater"
    2010 Honda Pilot - "The Beast"

  6. #6
    Senior Member HondaSUV Senior
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dirty Jersey
    Posts
    168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Racoon View Post
    "register"?

    As soon as you plugged it in and started the engine the ECU should either see that the sensor is responding, or that it's not responding, or it's responses are outside the acceptable range.

    But, the real question is what is the current code(s) that's causing the CEL light to come on. The new code could be indicating a different problem with a different component that the faulty O2 sensor was previously masking.

    Without knowing what the current code is there's no way to know how to proceed.

    JM2C
    Rac - You are 100% correct. As soon as I replaced the #1 O2 sensor the light went off almost instantly upon engine start-up. FYI - All is good afer I replaced #1 and #2 O2 sensor. No more check engine light but I still have a P1298 code that will not go away (but this does not throw the CEL so its not a priority).
    1985 Honda Accord "The Reincarnated"
    1996 Acura Integra "The Lost Love"
    1998 Honda CRV - "The Tank"
    2003 Honda CRV - "The Beater"
    2010 Honda Pilot - "The Beast"

  7. #7
    Senior Member HondaSUV Senior aggrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    104

    Default

    P1298 Electric Load Detector (ELD) Circuit High Voltage

    Is this a new problem ( P1298 ), since you successfully completed the bank #1 + #2 sensor replacement or an old one?
    2005 CRV EX -- 2004 Pilot EX --

  8. #8
    Senior Member HondaSUV Senior
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dirty Jersey
    Posts
    168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aggrex View Post
    P1298 Electric Load Detector (ELD) Circuit High Voltage

    Is this a new problem ( P1298 ), since you successfully completed the bank #1 + #2 sensor replacement or an old one?
    When I first did an engine scan it showed a Bank #2 code. So I replaced the Bank 2 sensor, reset the ECU and drove it. Check engine light came on shortly afterwards. Did another scan and showed Bank #1. Replaced bank #1 and the CEL is now off and has been off for 2 days. Decided to hook the scanner up again for giggles and it showed the P1298 - but no CEL.

    I dont know if the P1298 was there before because prior to the Bank #1 replacement I was getting different codes each time I reset and did a scan. The only code that was consistent was the Bank #1 that is why I replaced it. But now it just seems to be P1298 that is coming up all the time.
    1985 Honda Accord "The Reincarnated"
    1996 Acura Integra "The Lost Love"
    1998 Honda CRV - "The Tank"
    2003 Honda CRV - "The Beater"
    2010 Honda Pilot - "The Beast"

  9. #9
    Senior Member HondaSUV Mentor
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tac2front View Post
    Check engine light has been on in my 2003 CRV. The Autozone folks scanned it and indicated that the "Bank #2 oxygen sensor" was throwing a fault. So I replaced the part last night with a Bosch Universal sensor (I know I was warned against using Bosch by some members here). But the cost ($58 ) vs the Denso part ($329) vs OEM Honda ($288 ) was just too big of a difference for me to not try it.

    Anyway, I simply disconnected the battery after the O2 replacement was completed, started up the car and the check engine light is off. This morning as I was driving to the dealer (to drop off for an inspection) the Check Engine light came back on (after maybe 10 minutes of driving).

    Did I use the proper procedure to reset the light? What is the proper procedure to do this?
    I used this site to get Denso O2 sensors for my 98 V. Why pay the dealer (online or not) for the exact same thing when they can be picked up for a heckuva lot cheaper elsewhere?

    http://www.densoproducts.com/resultsApp.asp
    '98 Black LX
    Kenwood eXcelon KDC-589 HU,Aura MR 6.1 comps,
    Aura MR62 comps, Ascendant Audio Arsenal 12,
    US Acoustics USX-4065 amp(65 watts x 4)
    PG Octane 8.0:1 mono amp(600 watts x 1)

  10. #10
    Senior Member HondaSUV Senior
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dirty Jersey
    Posts
    168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by headknocker View Post
    I used this site to get Denso O2 sensors for my 98 V. Why pay the dealer (online or not) for the exact same thing when they can be picked up for a heckuva lot cheaper elsewhere?

    http://www.densoproducts.com/resultsApp.asp
    Totally agree. Thats why I spent $58 for a universal bank #2 and $160 for a bosch Bank #1 (cheapest one they had).
    1985 Honda Accord "The Reincarnated"
    1996 Acura Integra "The Lost Love"
    1998 Honda CRV - "The Tank"
    2003 Honda CRV - "The Beater"
    2010 Honda Pilot - "The Beast"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 02 Engine light reset
    By drewk4 in forum CR-V::Clinical Rounds
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-29-2008, 10:33 AM
  2. How do I reset the check engine light on my 99??
    By 82firebird in forum CR-V::Clinical Rounds
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-12-2006, 01:07 PM
  3. 2002 CRV Check Engine Light up after Low Fuel Light is On
    By bensen8 in forum CR-V::Clinical Rounds
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-25-2005, 12:37 PM
  4. ISSSUE: Engine Valve Replacement -Check Engine Light Came On
    By capejog in forum Element::Clinical Rounds
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 02:55 PM
  5. How to reset engine maintanence light?
    By Fenris in forum CR-V::Clinical Rounds
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 03:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •